Thursday, 20 August 2026

A quiet day

After an early night and a good 10 hours sleep it was time for breakfast on a very bleak and rainy day. French Toast with fruit for me - was bloody good. We are on a roll with the good food at last!

Louie ventured out for the one that almost poisoned me the other day. We definitely have a reputation now because his didn't come with the dukkah, no questions asked. I guess they didn't want to risk it.

After breakfast we headed back to the room to relax and do fuck all. I got stuck into yesterday's blog because I was too stuffed last night.

Early afternoon the weather had cleared up enough to go for a bus ride into town. Great excitement with the main road closed but probably because they were moving something. We didn't hear any huge crashing or screaming so I guess they did it without serious loss of limb.

Lunch was at Cafe Lalala, a French restaurant mostly dealing in seafood. It took about 45 minutes for it to arrive so I guess they were busy catching Louie's plate fresh.

Great view over the water while we waited, and a lot more comfortable that this lot were.

Pprk filet minions. Pretty sure it wasn't mignon because they are supposed to be tender and juicy. They were really tasty though, and everything else was perfect. Louie had seafood risotto, which the server helpfully advised him it came with rice, which was good to hear.

The orange building is the casino, which I'm pretty sure Vanuatu doesn't need. Such a mix of developing and pretend developed.
After lunch we took a walk up the waterfront again. There's not a hell of a lot to do on a rainy day in Vanuatu.

Bats! Big fuck-off bats like in Brisbane! Out in the daytime which probably isn't good.

Even on a crappy windy rainy day the ocean here is clear and clean. These steps had a whole bunch of crabs on them but they disappeared as soon as we got close.

Nambawan Cafe but the rain is a lot of number 2. 

We stopped for a coffe and snack but the guy had juet gotten a new machine and couldn't get it to work. I helpfully told him to turn it off and back on again, but the language barrier must have been too high because he didn't laugh at my comedy genius.
We got some "local fruit juice" with a note saying most of the juice is imported from New Zealand. I really don't get a lot of what they do here. The food trend too a bit of a dive, the pizza was not cooked fully and turned all sloppy.

Sad to say things didn't improve for dinner. After a couple more hours of lounging about we headed to the other restaurant on site. Rather that rewrite the experience, here is the Google Review I posted: Terrible experience here. "Music" that seems to match the tastes of the staff rather than the customers. Looking around the place I cannot imagine 90% of the customers enjoyed the bass heavy, loud whatever it was being played.
Service wasn't great, table missing basic cutlery and in need of a wipe. There was one server doing most of the work and a bunch of people behind the bar and counter doing a lot of faffing about. The food was terrible. For almost $60 AUD we expected a lot more than frozen meatballs cooked in a microwave until they were dry husks and red hot, and a smear of budget marinara sauce in a chewy bun. Same for the chicken parmigiana burger. I guess they were on the specials menu so they could get rid of the terrible ingredients. The cajun seasoning on the fries was about as cajun as the production line factory it came out of in Australia. No heat, spice or flavour. All around a poor experience. 

Right, time to wrap up the day and look forward to tomorrow. A city tour, coffee factory and the underwater post office (with more snorkelling!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment